Sunday, October 14, 2012

Discussion: "Learning Commons?" in transition

Crompton, Marc

My school is in the midst of the creation of a long-term building plan.  While I don't yet know what these really means in terms of completion date and design, I was excited when the discussion turned again to the Learning Commons this weekend!

The firm that we are working with in the design phase is Fielding Nair International.  These people have impressed me deeply in their initial visits to the school.  The emphasis of Fielding Nair was on education, not on architecture.  We talked curriculum and scheduling rather than glitzy finishings or building code.  It was in this context that I was very interested when I was presented with a collection of documents relating to a current project that the firm is working on at Magnificat High School in Rocky River, Ohio.  They have just completed Phase I of a 2 phase project to establish the school's new Surround Learning Center.  The Surround Learning concept seems to parallel the Learning Commons concept that we are discussing in class.  The principal idea in both is the idea that the 21st century school library needs to be a constructivist space.  It is not a repository of books as much as it is a collaborative space to build knowledge.  Here are some pictures of the the space as it started and as it is now.

 The original entry to the Library.


Redesigned entry.

 The new space with skylight.

"Sushi Tables"

Likely the most valuable piece of documentation of this project is the blog that was maintained through the course of the design and construction phase.  Originally written by one of the designers at Fielding Nair, James Seaman, and followed by an incoming Senior at Magnificat, the blog documents the process from initial inception to completion of phase I.  Some of the initial posts look very familiar to me as they mirror the process that I was involved in at my school, although our school is looking at a much bigger, full school project.

Also of value are a newspaper article and letter from the principal of Magnificat outlining the ideas behind the renovation and the initial reactions by the students, staff and greater community.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to upload pdfs to the blog!  If you can help, I will add them to this post.  You might also be interested in the school web site's take on the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment