Wednesday, July 17, 2013

20% Me Time



Gualano, Gabriela

Juliani, A. J. (2013, June 25). Why “20% time” is good for schools. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/blog/20-percent-time-a-j-juliani

Google has a policy where their employees are given 20% of their work time to spend on something else other than assigned projects. The article proposes carrying this idea over to schools, and giving students 20% of the day to work on something that fits their interests. The 20% time gives students time to work on their own projects while still meeting standards and grade level skills.

I think this model, if used properly, could go a long way in making school more applicable for students. The idea is also rather revolutionary for schools, and I wonder how it works for various subjects. Thinking back to my own school experience, I would have loved having 20% to myself in history or English, but would have been utterly lost in science or math. I could follow a lecture and memorize information, but I would have hated having to devise my own project and learning outcomes. Without an interest in the topic, I would not have been able to come up with something to learn. Even now I often equate success with an “A” on a test. Success in high school was earning an A on my report card; not creating some project that may or may not be successful. On the other hand, some might argue that by being able to create my own assignments I would gain an interest in these subjects. Perhaps so…the only time I remember being truly invested during science for its own sake and not a grade was in 7th grade. We were supposed to trace hemophilia through Queen Victoria’s family. The genetics and historical implications were endless fascinating! Would more assignments like these piqued my interest more? Giving students 20% of the time also allows them to work at their own pace. Differentiated instruction is a key buzzword, but it is difficult to achieve meaningful DI in practice. 20% would inherently solve DI. Some would speed ahead, while others would be able to take their time until a concept was truly understood. Plus, students who are invested and interested in their work will actually learn something. My biggest concern is for the students who, for whatever reason, do not care about school in any capacity. Will 20% reach them, or will it be just another opportunity to waste time?

3 comments:

  1. I think this would be a great idea to really put to the test in the learning commons. But, you would have to have lots of various use spaces to accomodate and stimulate such activities as the kids might dream up.

    I don't think that adults would necessarily expect the twenty percent of science time to be spent on science. It could be a year long project that kids were working on. And, if kids really got the idea, I would bet that the slackers would be the outstanding examples of learning! It's worth talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I toured the Google complex last November, we discussed this very concept. It is something they swear by. Maybe it is a concept worth testing in schools.

    ReplyDelete