Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Discussion - Bigfoot Article

Did anyone else read the Bigfoot article that was sent to us? 
https://www.edsurge.com/n/2013-09-25-spotting-schools-version-of-bigfoot

What do you think of standards based, competency based learning?  Are schools in your area trying it?  How is it working?  The district I work in and the district where my daughter attends are both working towards it.  It is messy but I think the idea is good.

I especially liked the teacher's idea of the game board to help students pace themselves.  At your own pace doesn't mean you take all year on one standard ;0
 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mrs. Williams,
    I did read the Bigfoot article. I am not sure if the schools in my district are using this standards based, competency based learning or not. But the article makes a case for differentiation and "kids learning at their pace." Improving the student experience is wonderful as long as using this method also improves student learning. I see an advantage in that the teacher has more flexibility to work with all students at all levels. On the other hand, the teacher makes an extra effort to not only teach the standards based subject but also teaches the students how to learn independently, setting goals for themselves, and at the same time keeping pace. The teacher is a plus in that the student learns how to learn and thus becomes a lifelong learner.
    Phyllis Libbe

    ReplyDelete