Saturday, November 10, 2012

PLEs - Pros and Cons

Donna Curley-Izzo
http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html

Symbaloo, one of several existing visual bookmarking tool services , has eased some of the stress and frustration I used to feel about my personal learning environment.  The cause of some of my previous frustration was that, like most people, my personal, work-related, and professional lives overlapped and interconnected.  It seemed that, inevitably, the URL I wanted when I was working at home was bookmarked on my work computer or vise versa, dooming me to constantly send myself emails and tote thumb drives around in my purse. In short, I needed to untangle the mess of my chaotic digital environment .

 Symbaloo was my ticket out of the mess in that it enabled me to upload important bookmarks from both my work and home computers, allowing me access to all of my bookmarks, not just from both my personal and work computers but from any computer anywhere, anywhere in the world. What a relief.

On the other hand, in his video entitled “Beware the Filter Bubble” Eli Pariser brings up a possible negative aspect to visual bookmarking services, suggesting that,  by allowing users to control their own digital environment, they run the danger of losing the broader perspective that comes from an unmanaged personal environment.  Management tools like Symbaloo, Pariser suggests, might result in users creating their own personally skewed, and probably inaccurate view of  the world.

In response to this argument, I contend that everyone sees the world through their own personal lens anyway, with or without tools like Symbaloo. A broad, balanced worldview depends upon our own efforts and willingness to acquire one. Also, who is to say that an unmanaged web environment will result in a more balanced view? It doesn’t seem to have happened so far. Instead of forgoing the ease provided by visual bookmarking tools users should be encouraged and educated to use tools like Symbaloo to make information mixes that include information sources from multiple perspectives. .









1 comment:

  1. I made my first Symbaloo in this class. In fact, it is my first bookmarking program that I have used ever, and I am hooked! I log in at home and at work. Moreover, I have helped all my "Library Practice" students create their own Symbaloo pages, and they love it too! Even though my Symbaloo pages are complete for now, I know that I can always add and remove bookmarks, which allows Symbaloo to grow with me. thus not creating a procrustean digital environment.

    ReplyDelete