Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Research Reflections Roundtable

Inquiry, Formative Assessment and Student Learning Communities: Research Reflections Roundtable - The Unquiet Librarian - April 23, 2012

http://theunquietlibrarian.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/inquiry-formative-assessment-and-student-learning-communities-research-reflections-roundtable/


In this post, Buffy Hamilton, a.k.a. The Unquiet Librarian shares her experience with a Research Reflections Roundtable - a forum where students could share their experiences (good and bad) with their ongoing research project.  This face to face venue allowed students and teachers to get helpful feedback about the learning process and construct ways to deal with issues the students faced. As stated in the title, the roundtable created a good blend of inquiry, formative assessment and learning communities.  Definitely worth a read.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great blog post, Kallie. I love reading this blog but I think I've forgotten to add it to my Google reader, so this is a good reminder.

    Two main points stuck out to me (and impressed me!)
    1. Within the content of the blog post, I was impressed by the type of discussion environment that the students seemed to have. I wonder what previous steps the librarian and teacher took in order to build this respectful, engaged listening environment. I am currently working with some teachers at my school who are struggling in this area.

    2) After reading the comments, I concluded that the students have a sophisticated understanding of online tools for gathering links and research, and creating bibliographies. I'm also wondering how much instruction they got in how to use these tools, and what type of expectation was set up at the beginning of the project.

    ReplyDelete