Monday, November 5, 2012

"Reading is the Way Up" Grant

Student Name:
Duff, Marina

Grant Recommendation:
I noticed that "Grants" was on the agenda for tomorrow night's class meeting. Last week, I actually applied for a grant called "Reading is the Way Up." You can apply for this grant for up to $500, and there will be many winners. My request was to fund $500 worth of nonfiction books with "Accelerated Reader" levels of 1st - 3rd grade because I do not have nearly enough of these types of books to meet the demand I am experiencing this school year from teachers, ESL students, and Special Needs students who are reading far below grade level. Once I get enough of these "Rocket Reads," I would like to have students create digital book talks about them that I can post in the Virtual Learning Commons to promote the newly stocked section. The name of my grant proposal was "Helping Rocket Readers Take Off." The grant required a pretty short application, which took me a couple hours to complete. I highly recommend pursuing this grant. Good luck!

Grant Link:
http://www.readingisthewayup.org/ Deadline: November 30, 2012

2 comments:

  1. I hope you get the grant. How did you find this grant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my former colleagues emailed me a link to it and said she thought I may be interested in applying. I read over it and applied immediately.

    ReplyDelete